Friday, October 6, 2017

Midnight and Pearls....

I haven't had many insomniac nights in the past year - scarcely any, actually. But tonight is a humdinger of a can't-shut-my-head-off kind of night. You know: The kind where you might just as well give in, get up, and accomplish something.  And it isn't like there isn't always a to-do list, right?

Bella is getting married tomorrow.  JuJuBee's middle sister: Eight years old when she first charmed her way into our home, in and out during her mother's tumultous struggles with addiction, and on her own by age 18 with a 2 year old. She has had her own demons to fight, and has grown up all the way, ready to become The Grownup in her own family.

When she asked me to be Mother-of-the-Bride, I cried.  I am deeply honored, yet incredibly humbled.  There is so much I could not do for her, so much I could not save her from, so many times when all I could do was pray, and pray, and hope and pray some more.

She deserves better, although I know I couldn't have done much more.

So...

I asked her if she would like to wear my mother's pearls on her wedding day.  She got teary, and touched, and excited.  But antique pearls and modern wedding dresses don't always work well together. So this week, she asked, "Do you have anything else 'old'?"

Oddly, yes.

Among my mom's things were not one but three sets of pearls.  One has an, um, interesting, history. Mom left those to Citygirl. That set I know is about 65 years old. The next, I'm not sure of - judging by the clasp and the stringing style they are likely older, possibly MY grandmother's.  The third set of about that same age had a cheaper clasp and a broken string, and the pearls were coming off.

So I offered to stitch the loose pearls to her garter.  Something old, something from her Grandma.  My friend Michelle (one of my best inheritances from my mother) is a talented seamstress, so when I asked if she had fine needles and silk thread she produced "beading needles" (who knew that was a thing?) and beading thread (again, a thing?), so all I needed was some time to get it done.

Work's been crazy. Nothing like a computer software overhaul to make your day difficult, or to trigger some massive migraines.  I guess I needed some insomnia.

Sixteen pearls are now adorning the lace of her garter. I've had some quiet space in my head to pray for her and her soon-to-be-husband and their new life together.  May they face it with courage, grace, and humor.

"Always kiss me goodnight."

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment