Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Insult to Injury....

 After two days of endless calling to insurance and billing offices, I thought I'd caught them all.

Then the mail came.  The mail ALWAYS comes. This time it brought me a 14-page package of EOBs (Explanation of Benefits. Seriously, you all should look them ALL over carefully!). 

Some were from follow up visits near and far, all, again, reminding me that nobody knows which insurance is primary etc. Some were from her Dialysis Nephrologist. 

But the new news? Dialysis costs $8,010.89 per treatment.  My initial mental math was, "Wow! That's $24K a MONTH!"  Nope.  Nope. Nope. HARD Nope. It's 24K a WEEK. 

Three treatments a week since mid-January, slightly over 3 full months' worth.  45 visits so far. NONE of it paid to date. That's $360,490.05 (don't wanna forget that last nickel). That's more than a third of a million dollars.  For a full year? That's $1,249,699.  

Her transfusions? $2,272.33 EACH.  She's had 3 since January. Her blood counts are dropping again, just to add to all the fun.

We are just beginning to see denials for her ER visit in April. 

When I talked to the insurance, I didn't ASK about these visits and providers, so I have Not. One. Clue. as to whether or not they are in the resubmission pile. I mean, I shouldn't have to ask. To be fair these EOBs were produced well before my conversations with the insurance. 

Sigh.  I see a lot of wasted on-hold time in my future.

DeeDee



No comments:

Post a Comment