Sunday, February 12, 2023

So Much Water....

Super Bowl Sunday.  While the technologically challenged among us are still trying to figure out how to access this years' game (yeah, last year we used Peacock. This year, not so much LOL), I'm thinking back to the 2012 game.  I have no idea who played, who won, or what the best ad was.  I only know that we were finally out of the ICU, off dialysis, and on the road to what we thought would be a normal life. 

There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

The kidneyversary was last week.  February is full of things to remember. My grandson's birthday, a host of other family days. The anniversary of Mom's death. Remembering Jorge and his family, their loss and their gift to us. 

I still, more than a year after the loss of the kidney, can't think about that day like I did the previous 9 years.  

And yet, that gift, however temporary, DID buy us a more normal life. Beach trips, hiking, camping, Complete freedom from the dialysis machines. Every moment of freedom, every unconscious lack of worry, ALL of it, from that gift given at great cost.  

I remain incredibly grateful, endlessly grateful for all of those gifts.  None of the struggles of those years outweigh that gift. 

Gratitude remains the best defense against that ducking squirrel.

DeeDee.


No comments:

Post a Comment