Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week Forty-six - Home Teaching....

Babygirl has been having teachers come to the house to catch her up on missed school.  What is wonderful about this is that her very own schoolteachers are coming instead of a district tutor.  This means that people who already know how she struggles are here to help and support her.  I get to eavesdrop some, and it's fascinating to see a real teacher at work. All of my girls have been through the same school, and have had these teachers.

You see, I try to help with homework.  I try to make it simple, explain things, and move slow.  But my mind just doesn't really work that way.  That's not to say I'm not an excellent teacher.  Medical students love me (most days LOL), and the schools who send them keep sending them.  But ask ANY of my daughters, from Citygirl on down, and they will ALL agree they'd pretty much rather die than have me work on long division with them.

I can't explain how it's different.  Maybe all parents have the same problem, although somehow I doubt it. But one-on-one with one of my kids?  Things somehow just get ugly.   I get impatient, they get stubborn, I get irritated, they get intimidated.... Arghhh.  So it's nice to see it done right!

I had one very funny moment getting this all set up.  Hubby and I both work now, and there is a rule that another adult be present when a teacher is at the house.   One of the teachers was telling me, "There has to be an adult in the house when we are there."  I responded, "Curlygirl will be there."  Teacher:  "But there has to be an ADULT in the house."  Me: "Curlygirl WILL be there."  Teacher:  "There HAS to be an ADULT there."  Oh, I'm slow!  Me: "Ummm...Curlygirl is eighteen."  Teacher: "OMG That is NOT POSSIBLE!"  "Yup.  And Citygirl is almost twenty-three."  Teacher:  "Lordy....."

Nothing makes a teacher feel like they are aging rapidly more that realizing that a former "kid" is now a grownup.

DeeDee

1 comment:

  1. I can't teach my kids either...our personalities clash. Hope she is doing well. She must be dying to get outside.

    ReplyDelete