Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Little About Us.....

Our family is blended, mixed, racially diverse and, well, generally unique.  I have one biological child, 2 adopted children, and 2 who are "mine" because they fell thru the foster care cracks and never left us.  My hubby and I have had kids come and go over the years without ever officially becoming foster parents.

Our household currently has one 11 year old, about to enter 6th grade.  One 17 year old who graduated high school last month (Yay!), and who will hopefully start at the local community college in the fall.  One 19 year old friend of the family currently in local college and making some decisions about her life. One 22 year old nephew, who is leaving for culinary school in September.   One 22 year old who graduated college in May (Big Yay!), and is in NYC on an internship, and will likely stay there.

Out of the house we have a 35 year old, married, with 3 kids (grandkids are the BEST, AND I didn't have to go thru labor to have them!). She lives about 1 1/2 hours away.  And a 19 year old, living with her boyfriend, expecting a baby any minute now, who lives nearby. 

Financially, we are stable.  I work on a mission team providing health care to the poor.  Hubby has been the best Stay-At-Home parent ever.  Despite what people expect of my profession, we are solidly middle class.  We are fortunate to have no current "stupid debt" (credit cards etc), but we do have kids' college costs and a mortgage.

The year has had many stresses.  I became ill just after Thanksgiving and was out of work until April.  I remain part-time.  During that time I had an unrelated minor knee surgery.

Hubby tore up HIS knee and had to have the ACL replaced.  He is still recovering.

And then, the kidney failure.

I am SO looking forward to the end of 2011.  Except.....we still need a kidney.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment