Thursday, December 22, 2011

"This is the LONGEST......."

So Babygirl's been acutely ill since Monday.  By Tuesday she had a very sore throat and a fever of 102.6 degrees.  The family doc saw her Monday, did a rapid strep and sent her home.  Tuesday got a full throat culture and peritoneal dialysate culture, both negative.  Fever ongoing through Wednesday, with Babygirl looking increasingly ill.  Poor thing - her throat hurt so bad she didn't really want to drink, and eating made her nauseated.

No fever this morning, but tears because the throat hurts SO bad, so we just came back from the family doc.  We went to get blood work after he spoke with nephrology.  I was concerned about possible mono, but it turns out they already tested her and she's immune, but we are rechecking that.  Meanwhile, this is day number four of no school, and Christmas vacation starts tomorrow.

Overall, it's been a bit draining.  I have taken off two afternoons, which is something I really can't afford to do too much of.

But then, there is Babygirl's perspective.  "Mom, you know, this is the LONGEST I have ever been sick!" Well, I guess not counting the Swine Flu for five days last year, and the fact that you are IN NEED OF A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT!!!

Seriously.  I had to laugh, later, privately.  The kid is sick enough every day to qualify for Make-A-Wish!  And somehow, she doesn't see it that way.

I'm proud of her endurance.  And I'm kinda proud of us.  I think that if she doesn't perceive herself as "sick" all of the time, we have acheived something great for her - a semblance of normal life.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment