Thursday, March 8, 2018

What Would It Be Like.....

When Babygirl turned 18 in September, I put in an application for her for Social Security Income.  She qualified at age 11, when she was first diagnosed with kidney failure, but did NOT get it because of my income:  It's 'needs based.'  But at this point she is still struggling to finish high school, has headaches at least four days a week, has an immune system too weak for her to work with the public and handle money, and she can't see well enough to get a driver's lisence, so....what kind of work can she do?

The majority of people under the age of 50 who apply for Social Security are denied, at least initially.  Babygirl qualified on the first try. 

So this morning we went to the credit union to set up an account for her so Social Security can direct deposit her checks.  During the process we decided she needs a checking account so she can take over paying her own medical bills, and added my name to her accounts in case she gets too sick to manage her money at some point.

On the way out of the bank, she asked, "I wonder what it would be like to be healthy?  I mean, it probably would be less expensive...."

Oh. My. Freaking. God.

Yeah, it would be different.  We'd be setting up an account so you could deposit money from your first job. I'd never even consider putting my name on it.  We'd be going out for breakfast instead of trying to figure out why the local Social Security office doesn't have ANY parking within a quarter mile of the place and, good God Almighty, child! "Less expensive"????

College would be expensive.  A new CAR would be expensive. An apartment of your very own would be expensive.  I'd happily bankrupt myself to pay for ALL of it if it meant you never, EVER had to wonder what good health felt like.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment