Friday, August 14, 2020

Winning the Battle of the Botox......

Yesterday at work I did what I have not done since Babygirl was on the transplant list: I excused myself from an active patient visit when my phone rang. "I'm so sorry - my child is ill, and this is her doctor!"

The snarky lady from the neurology office began with a very respectful, "Hello, is this Dr D?"  

Amazing what playing the puffed-up "Do you know who I AM?" card does for you. (Although, to be honest, do I really need a TITLE to be respected? What exactly is that about? There are some days of the week when being Babygirl's mom is more complicated than being a doctor has EVER been, and that deserves respect, right? And what about the idea that we are ALL created in the image of God? Maybe God has some snark, and I need to respect THAT.) Be that all as it may....

She informs me that they are working on getting the Botox authorized by our old insurance, since, she still insists, it is Babygirl's PRIMARY insurance.  She knows this because her new insurance has refused to cover the Botox.  She starts the steamroller process, but I'm out of time and patience so I interrupt as politely as possible.

"We got a call from her new insurance last night letting us know why they were not going to pay for the Botox. She just has to try 2 preferred medications first."  Ms. Snark, surprised, said, "That shouldn't be hard. Her chart has a long list of everything she's tried." Me, shocked, thinking, "The Snark actually READ her chart??" Aunt Mary would have said, "Well, I'll be dipped in dirt!"

"Yes, but not THESE medications.  She needs to try Emgality and Aimovig, but the kidney doctors won't let her use them."  "Is that in the notes? Do you have copies?"  Well, I don't have copies, but I"m pretty sure I said it to the new doctor, so it might be in his note, and our family doc might have it, and for sure the pediatric neurologist has it. In any case, the appeal form needs to say that, one way or the other.

"I'll look into it and let you know. But the doctor said to let you know that one way or the other we are doing the injections on the 4th."

When I got home for the evening, Babygirl was getting a call from her insurance.  The Botox is approved, and needs to be called in to our pharmacy!  Whoot!  That means it should come in at her usual copay of about $3.  

Amen, and amen. And a good nights' sleep.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment