Saturday, September 17, 2011

Things to be grateful for.....

Since the last few posts have been, um, a bit negative and depressing, I thought that this morning I  would start with a bunch of the things I am grateful for.

Our city just survived the worst flood in its history and our home was not damaged or even wet.

My oldest daughter.  She is raising three kids, building a new house, surviving in interim housing, and still praising God every Sunday morning.  I am grateful for her husband as well (it's his birthday today!) for being a loving and supportive man. I am proud of them both.

My next oldest.  She just graduated from an Ivy League school, and she's in California right now, about to leave for France, then Italy, on a wine-studying scholarship.  She's one of only 10 people nationally to win this award. She has a job and an apartment lined up in NYC when she comes home. I am so incredibly proud of her.

My middle daughter.  She and her boyfriend survived the flood and are not complaining at all about losing everything from their first floor.  They just figure they'll start over!  Their baby girl is the cutest, but she is one of those needy demanding little souls, but they take turns and handle it pretty well!  Living with grampa and gramma for a few weeks until the apartment is cleaned up may help ease that a bit - at least she doesn't have to cook! I am proud of her parenting skills, and of her boyfriend's determination to support them all so she can stay home at least a year with the baby.

My next youngest daughter.  She is juggling collge and early pregnancy, making wedding plans and all of that.  She's clearly exhausted, but hanging in.  I am truly proud of her too.  Her boyfriend also lost a great deal in the flood, as did his mom and siblings, so he's here to, and he never says "no" when I ask for help!

Babygirl.  I am so proud of her.  She picks her tired little self up in the morning, heads off for school, and almost never complains about how radically her life has changed.  The other day she told me, "The only thing I like about this is that when I get my new kidney, I'll be able to eat chocolate!"

And lets not forget Hubby.  Whosever turn it is to set up, it is both of us who listen to tech support, amusing each other with funny faces and rude gestures.  And cleaning up to remodel and prepare for our next stage of life, which was SUPPOSED to be a nearly empty nest LOLOL.  In a way I guess I am proud of us both.

There is always someone to play a game with. God seems never to let the population in our house drop below six (three just moved out, four just moved in, and we are up to eight).  And when someone tells me, "Man, your hands are FULL!"  I usually say, "Well, it's better than having them empty."

DeeDee

1 comment:

  1. one of the laughs that Ana and i had was how horrified i was that she couldn't have chocolate.

    ReplyDelete