Wednesday, November 7, 2018

My New/Old Job.....

Before Babygirl became ill I was our church's choir director. I really don't know how long I did the job. I thought it was just a couple of years, but sorting through the old music, I've come across four years' worth of cantatas, so.....

But the year before Babygirl go sick, I got sick. I was out of work for about 5 months recovering from a spectacular bout of migraines (yeah, that can happen) and had just come back when we learned about B
abygirl.  Looking at what her needs were going to be, and how often we might be gone, I resigned the position.  Sadly, there was no one to replace me for a couple of years, and the new director, when he arrived, was, well, more traditional. But he was a student. I figured he'd graduate and move and then I'd volunteer again as Babygirl's health stabilized. But he kind of, settled in.

So this past summer I reapplied for the job versus the current director. And I thoroughly enjoyed terrifying everyone at my day job by letting them know I was applying for a new job.

I started again in September. 

Lordy, I am out of shape for this. 

It's not just the standing and waving your arms around part (although we have a couple of people, entirely new not only to the choir but to music in general, who took a bit to understand exactly WHY I was waving my arms around LOL), it's the hunt for the right music, learning the music, making sure you have enough copies, because initially you had 6 people and now you have 16 (THAT's a good problem to have!) and finding the time to clean out and organize spaces that the last THREE choir directors have been neglecting (Oh, oops, was one of them me?? My bad.)  I figure it's about 4 - 8 hours of work for every anthem. My Fitbit tells me I walk up to 2 miles during each Wednesday rehearsal, and at least one mile on Sundays at church.


This is what Choir prep looks like.

But music lifts my heart and gives my soul purpose, and I'm grateful.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment