Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Letter to God

Part of getting ready for this whole ordeal was moving our baby to a bigger bedroom.  We got the room ready, and spent all of Sunday moving her stuff from one room to another.  I wouldn't let her just move stuff - I made her examine everything to decide if she really wanted to keep it.  She filled 5 trash bags with contributions for the local rummage sale, filled 2 recycling bins with old school papers and posters, and still had stuff leftover for the trash collectors.  In the end, she made some very mature decisions about what was really worth keeping, and we'll have a much easier time keeping the room clean without all her packrat clutter.

This morning I did the final sweep out. You know, the Barbie shoes, the loose beads, the broken crayons, all left behind because someone has gotten to old for all of those things.  She's my last little girl, and I admit I'm going to miss the little girlie things.

But among the things left behind I found a letter.  It was neatly folded in the shape of an envelope.  It read:

7/19/11

Dear God,

What's up?  Thank you for everything you've given me.  Tell mom Hi and I love her.  And please let me get a Kindle.

Love,
Babygirl

PS Love you too.

"Thank you."  For everything.  Hi to the mom I'll likely never see, in Guatemala. I don't think I have half that gratitude and grace.  She wrote this after 3 months of regular doctors appointments, blood tests, ER visits and stress.  And all she wants back is a Kindle LOL.

I didn't see this before her surgery.  But we bought her a Nook right before we went.  I guess God was listening pretty well.

DeeDee

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for showing himself when it sounds like you really need it!! I am amazed at your little girl's attitude through all this, and I pray that I could be the same if I ever had to go through something like that, though I doubt I would be able to. She is truly an amazing gift, and I thank God for her outlook, as I know it probably helps you as you go through this with her. And I am so grateful that you were open to hear and help God answer her prayer :) All of you are continually in my prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe getting the kindle was less of a gift than it was a GIFT...for both of you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete