Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week Sixteen - The Beach

We left for the beach one day after our consultation at the big center.  I was hoping for some rest, relaxation, and oblivion.  It's not that you can ever forget your kid is sick - there are all the dietary restrictions and meds to remind you - but there is always the hope that the joy of the week will recharge your soul a little before you have to face the reality of it all.

And to some extent, it did.  The daily sunrise dolphin show (which I confess I only saw twice), the fellowship of family, the laughter of kids.  The perfect weather.  My lovely, even tan (despite SPF 30).

But every time I felt like I had managed to relax......

Monday afternoon I got a call from the local nephrologists office reminding me of Babygirl's upcoming surgery, and the following surprising news: "I know you're on vacation, but did you know you'll have to start dialysis training one week after the surgery? You'll be at the dialysis center for two days, possibly as much as five days."  Are you serious????  You KNOW I'm on vacation and you failed to inform me of this BEFORE I went?

Tuesday morning I phoned my office to have them juggle my schedule.  Again.

Wednesday afternoon I got a call from the dialysis center.  They wanted to know what would be a good day to have all our dialysis supplies delivered to the house.  And they informed me that my baby would likely be in the hospital for a week, starting her dialysis immediately after having the dialysis tube inserted.  We were told by the surgeon that the tube needed to HEAL for two or more weeks first!  The "dialysis training" would actually be practicing dialysis on our daughter, when I thought we had the rest of the summer to prepare for this.  I got this phone call while I was sitting on the boardwalk with my mom.  I cried for over an hour, in front of God knows how many total strangers, using my beach wrap to mop up with. I can't recall ever being so utterly wretched.

Thursday I called the new nephrologist in the big center.  He didn't call me back.

Friday I called again.  Twice.  I got him at nearly five, and told him the whole story.  He told me that there was no medical need to start her dialysis so emergently that the tube couldn't heal, but that neprologists probably divided about 50/50 on how soon to start once the tube was in.

I think I'm in HIS 50.  This tube goes from the outside into the peritoneum - a rapid transit route for bacterial peritonitis if we aren't extraordinarily careful.  I'd rather be careful.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment