Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Optimism with a Capital O......

I have always been an optimist.  Hubby frequently refers to me as Pollyanna (and I call him Eeyore LOL).  One of my guilty pleasures is actually a subscription to O magazine.  Yes, a subscription, not just covert readings in doctors offices (although I confess that that was where I caught the bug).  Now, given my work schedule, you have to realize that I may be the last person in America to have never actually watched The Oprah Winfrey Show (nor Dr. Oz), but I have, since "The Color Purple" come to admire her spirit and her life. And I SO relate to that big wagon full of fat that keeps coming and going!

This morning I had a moment to read, and I caught "In Praise of Rose-Colored Glasses" by Martha Beck.  http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Reduce-Your-Suffering-How-to-Have-a-Positive-Outlook-On-Life

She quotes poet Jack Gilbert:  "We must have the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless furnace of this world."

Well.  Wow.  I think that quote alone is going to keep me pondering for a while.  It actually fits my life philosophy very well, which up until now I might have been summarized:  "Life stinks but you can still laugh at it." Or some ruder version thereof that may have also included laughing at other people (oops). 

There is a section of the article outlining the idea that it only takes 90 seconds to process the initial stress of a negative feeling.  Not that those feelings don't return, they do, but if you let it flow, ride it out, and let it go, it's gone.  Again, something that I inherently FEEL.  I do much better when I have time to process things for a minute, or ninety seconds if you insist.  I am that person who has cloudbursts of emotion: A moment of temper, a storm of weeping, a burst of exuberance.  Now that we don't have tragedy upon hysteria based on yet more bad news (for at least one week at least) pouring out of our world's "furnace", I am feeling more balanced.  And now, I want to go back to stubbornly accepting gladness. I want Pollyanna back, and I think I can key in on finding her most of the time.

It's really all already in the Bible : "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning."

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment