Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week Twenty-five.....The Donor Search.......

We've had posters of Babygirl's cute little face distributed all over by anyone on the move from here to anywhere.  Periodically I get a random call from somewhere, asking about her and whether we still need a kidney.  Well, yes, as a matter of fact we do.....

I am still amazed by these calls.  Humbled.  Impressed.  The vast majority are from other moms, who see her face and her age and pray that someone somewhere would do for their child what I am asking them to do for mine.  In the past three weeks I have sent out five information packets, and sit with my fingers crossed.

But yesterday I got a call that was less than typical.  It was a man, to begin with.  Not that we haven't had male volunteers, but all of the men so far are people who know Babygirl personally.  This gentleman had heard of our daughter via a church newsletter (which, by the way, I had no idea was going out regularly in our district).  He told me that his dad had received a kidney from his aunt more than 30 years ago.  The kidney survived 25 years, and his dad a few years more.

I gave him the standard spiel:  under 50 years of age, good health, no diabetes or high blood pressure, and acceptable body mass index.  He met all but the last.  But his next sentence astonished me:  "Let me see if I am a match.  If the only problem they have with my donation is my size I PROMISE you I will do what it takes to lose the weight."

To me, this is breathtaking, absolutely stunning determination to pay back what someone else did to give him a father for his childhood and adulthood.  I understand what called to him about Babygirl's story, but he could have been tugged in this direction for any other child who needed him.  And somehow, he waited for us.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment