Sunday, February 5, 2012

February Fourth - The First Day With the New Kidney.....

It's really hard to stay where one day starts and the last leaves off when you start at 3 AM and go through to 8 AM without really stopping.  I discovered that I can (but shouldn't) sleep with my head on the siderail of a hospital bed holding a little girl's hand.  I discovered that even under the influence of narcotics and residual anaesthesia, Babygirl has quite a good grip.  I discovered, humbly, just how tough my kid is. 

I learned that it is incredibly frightening hearing someone page "CODE BLUE" for the room next to your child's. I learned that if your kid is hungry enough, chicken broth counts as a meal, and a popsicle, dessert.  For three meals in a row. 

I learned that the doctors here are the smartest.  The nurses, the sharpest.  The staff, the most caring - and I work in an institution known well for it's culture of caring.  I learned that when there is no choice left, trusting God is really not that hard to do. 

I learned that the prayers, love and support of family and friends is beyond all price, and that help comes from unexpected places.

Thank you all for all you've done.

DeeDee

2 comments:

  1. What a tough little girl AND mommy!! Still in our intentions!~Taylor & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter and all who love her are in my thoughts and prayers! I hope she's already feeling better.

    ReplyDelete