Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mama Told Me.....

....there'd be days like this.

Babygirl was feeling well enough to go on her school field trip today, so after a trip to Dunkin Donuts for iced coffee (de rigueur before any middle school trip) I dropped her at the school at 7 AM, went home to do some chores, and went to the endocrinologist with Hubby at 8:30.  It was a long, complex visit, so I barely made it to the office by 10 for my first patient.

Both of my partners are off for the rest of the week, so I handled my patients, my phone calls, their phone calls (a burden considerably lightened by judicious screening by the nurses!).  I finished up and, looking forward to dinner, arrived home at 8:30 PM.  Hubby looked at me with some surprise and said, "Where's Babygirl?"  Umm.....arriving back at school at 8:30 PM?

I U-turned at the door and drove to the school, waited half an hour and came back with an exhausted, headachy Babygirl to hear my mom hollering for help.  So I went right instead of left.  She was in her recliner, clutching her chest and moaning.  She couldn't, of course, tell me how long she'd been having pain, but Hubby had been over to give her her medications just before I'd come home the first time, so it was less than half an hour.  By the time the paramedics arrived twenty minutes later I'd made myself a turkey sandwich, and the pain was just subsiding.  We decided to bring her to the ER just to be on the safe side.  Not a bad idea, it turns out - her EKG doesn't QUITE look the same as last time, so she's going to be admitted for observation.  Once she's settled, I'll (hopefully) be able to go home and get some sleep.  Until then, I'll just keep answering the questions of the evening:

"Who are you talking to?"
"Would you scratch my back?"
"How did I get here?"
"Why are we in the hospital?"
"Can I have green Jell-O with whipped cream?"
"Can we go home now?"

I'm still looking forward to dinner.  I might have to raid the doctors' lounge to get it. 

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment