Thursday, January 12, 2012

Week Thirty-eight - 'Possums and Poetry........

I've mentioned my Bible study group before.  We are a small group, around eight people on average.  We actually read a devotional article or poem each week and then discuss it.  Eventually.  We also share our joys and sorrows, and whatever story of our lives is in the front of our minds at the moment.  And we laugh.  And laugh.  And laugh some more.  What we share together is held in confidence, a sacred trust.  It is a safe place to go and feel loved and supported.  And did I mention that we laugh? Frequently any other group that is meeting in the church comes to tell us to close our door! 

Because of the confidential nature of our sharing I can't really tell you the story of the 'possum. Or why someone observing "Hey, it's better than a 'possum!" could bring us to tears of hysterical laughter.  I think that any family, small group, or pair of BFFs has a phrase like that - the one that makes everybody in the room crack up.

And the blessing of such a group is that there is always a shorthand.  I can walk in, look around, and see who has had a good or bad week.  As they can see in my face.  That sort of knowledge is a precious gift, rare as rubies and far more beautiful.

And what does this all have to do with Babygirl, you might ask?  Nothing.  Nothing except that I can rely on these women to help keep her mother sane.  I'm incredibly grateful for the love and support of these friends.  They rejoice when we have a good week, like this past one.  And they weep with me when I weep. They show up with food, and help decorate for baby showers, give up spare couches, and help each other understand the deeper meaning of the poems of our lives. 

I am richly blessed.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment