Friday, January 6, 2012

Week Thirty-Seven - Keep the Damned Phone ON!!.......

Somehow I walked out the door today without my cell phone. I didn't miss it until after lunch, and I'm not sure why I noticed then.  It actually usually lives in my bra, and I'm so used to it being there that it's mentally "invisible," like a wedding ring or your glasses. 

Even when I noticed I didn't worry about it much.  The transplant team has a list of numbers, and both times when they have called I didn't have my phone on me (once I had just gotten out of the shower and once it was on the charger upstairs), and both times they called Hubby's phone. They also have our home number, my work number, and family numbers as well.

But when I looked at our answering machine today when I came home there was a call from BOTH transplant teams!  I nearly stopped breathing.  The one from the local team turned out to be a question about  Babygirl's current insurance.  Phew.  But the one from the tertiary center was, "Please call us back within an hour."  Ouch.  Too late to meet that deadline.  Hubby was ready to cry, and I was not too happy myself.  No one had called HIS cell - and he had it on him all day.  So I went hunting for mine, and found that I had SIX voice mails. 

Turns out three of them were irrelevant - Mom wanting to go shopping, somebody asking about tomorrow's baby shower, a call from our local doc.  But three were from the tertiary transplant team.  The first two were as cryptic as the one on the answering machine.  But the third finally revealed the point of the phone calls.

It was NOT a kidney. Babygirl had blood drawn at the dialyis center Wednesday, and I forgot to take a shipping label with me, so we brought the blood home, added the label and hiked it to our hospital for pick up.  Apparently the discrepancy between draw site and pick up site caught the lab's attention, and they wanted verification of the dialysis center's information.  Well, we missed that call, so I'm guessing they tossed the blood and we will need to go get a new one done next week.  Inconvenient, uncomfortable for Babygirl, but not as bad as missing a "We have a kidney for you" call.

I am sure that the transplant coordinator will have something to say to me on Monday.  And whatever it is, I agree.  I CANNOT believe I walked out the door without that phone.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment