Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions.........

I don't have any.  Well, none that are really new.  But as last year wound down I found myself wondering what I could do this year that would make things simpler, kinder, gentler.  So here are a few thoughts:

My mom is in failing health. She frequently forgets what we are doing, where we are going, or what the point of what we are doing is.  I have already, for the most part, stopped trying to keep her up to speed.  If she asks a question for the third time I try to answer it the same way I did the first two times - as if it were still the first.  Sometimes she realizes that she has asked before and sometimes she doesn't, but it's less stressful for her if I stay cooler.

We have already said "No" to anyone who needs our help with anything big this year.  No one else can move in, and once out, no one can come back.  It's time to circle the wagons around Babygirl and let her have as much of our attention as it is healthy to give her.

I am amazed by how little time it took to become accustomed to letting my head slide into meditation at the dialysis machine.  I plan to continue doing it!  I've also noticed that it is easier to take a moment and send out a prayer for someone else, since I'm developing a habit of it (and about danged time too LOL!).

I am doing better at letting myself rest, and not beating myself up too much if I don't feel like putting together a three course meal every night. Right now, my bedroom, Babygirl's room, the living room and both baths are clean. The laundry is done.  I consider that to be as much of an accomplishment as painting the Mona Lisa.  And it probably took nearly the same amount of time. (Too bad it isn't as permanent!)

I am not jumping as high with every phone call.  And I hope that when "the call" finally comes that I'll be able to just go with it, keeping my own cool so my baby won't get anxious.

Habits I still need to form?  I need to keep the gas tank full.  I'm still not really good at this.  And every once in a while I realize I don't have my cell phone on me.  I need to keep remembering that it's okay to ask for help.  Often.

And I need to remember to give thanks for all we have. Reading this blog http://jamescamdensikes.blogspot.com/ has shown me just how much I do have.  If you have a spare moment, pray for Jamsies' parents.

So thanks, God.  For home, family, life and food.  For funny, homely moments that hang in the heart and soul long after they pass. For work, play, and sleep.  For a hubby who knows that a box of Malted Milk Balls in my stocking makes my Christmas.

Happy New Year!  God bless us all!

DeeDee

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I found your blog through a comment you left on the Sikes' blog and I have been transfixed for the last several hours reading your journey. A good friend of mine found out her kidneys failed when she was 2 months pregnant. She delivered her daughter 10 weeks early and had to go through dialysis for another year until she was able to find a living donor. Right now she (and her beautiful, healthy daughter) are doing very well, but I know it was a terribly difficult road for her and her family. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for your daughter. I'm a 7th grade teacher and know how tough adolescence is without having to deal with major health issues on top of that. You and your daughter sound like such strong women!! Please know that I am adding your daughter and your family to my prayer list. I wish there was more I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I felt the same about the Sikes' blog. So far my daughter isn't a "typical" adolescent, at least compared to all of her older sisters. Thanks so much for the prayers - we'll take all we can get. And it may help to post my blog to your Facebook - people have been known to find matches that way!
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shared your blog on facebook. What is your daughter's blood type? If you're not comfortable posting it, you can email me at lisalorta@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babygirl's blood type is O positive, and that means she can get either an O pos OR O neg kidney.

    No problem with telling the world - after all, "Ye have not because ye ask not."

    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete