Wednesday, January 5, 2022

It's Been an Oddly Lazy Productive Day.....

 I had been planning on walking the 1.8 miles from my new hotel to the hospital this morning, with a stop at an Enormous Barnes and Nobles on the way, the excuse being that Babygirl's power cord was acting wonky and I figured they'd have one.

Her "call me as soon as you wake up" text made me skip those plans and get on the road more expeditiously. 

I arrived at the hospital and texted her and told her I was going to eat my breakfast sandwich in the cafeteria so I wouldn't be eating in front of her (she hates when we do that. She is still annoyed that we ate in front of her before the transplant 10 years ago LOL).  I climbed to the 4th floor (that's as far as I can make it without needing oxygen) and was waiting for the elevator to take me up the last 3 floors when she texted, "They are going to take me before you get here!" Fortunately for me the elevator doors opened right then or I'd have died trying to sprint up those last 60 stairs (there are 20/floor. I, as always, counted).

I made it too her room to discover that they were, indeed, "taking her." However, it wasn't for the biopsy. It was an echocardiogram, which neither of us had heard anything about.  She left without protest, and I went to sit in her room for an hour.  

The rest of the morning was spent with various doctors doing rounds and each explaining their perspective on the mysteries.

Infectious Disease is signing off. She gets a couple more days of antibiotics and then done. They are of the opinion that infection had nothing whatsoever to do with the rapid onset of kidney failure.  The abscess, while intriguing, was a red herring. I agree.

Transplant Team agrees as well. They need the biopsy at this point to see if they can pinpoint the "why" of what is happening.

Nephrology Team agrees.  We are down to the last test that will tell us whether this is an acute rejection episode due to a couple of days of vomiting and viral symptoms (during which Babygirl could neither take nor keep down her antirejection medications for an unknown number of days), or if there is another disease state (like Lupus) causing the problem. The ANA test for Lupus has been repeated and is unchanged, off-the-charts abnormal.

We had some down time, so we played rummy (genius idea that Hubby threw in some cards when he was updating the emergency supplies!). A video chat with Citygirl helped pass the time as well.

While we were waiting, the dressing on the abscess site was changed. It's looking fine, healing well.

While we were waiting, her nasogastric tube was removed. She was quite surprised by how long it was. And it was gross.

While we were waiting, she was taken off the cardiac monitors.

While we were waiting, she got her hair washed (praise be to God! She still had a little eu de emesis going there) and had a sponge bath.  The sum total of all of this is a very happy patient. 

They finally came to get her for the biopsy at 1:30. She was gone for more than 2 hours.  I had a book with me, but I couldn't concentrate on it, so I played solitaire and checked social media.

She had to lay flat for 4 hours after the biopsy, so I stayed until she could sit up and eat. 

I finally got dinner at about 8 PM.  And security never found me. 

DeeDee

PS We might not get biopsy results until Friday. And then they need to treat what they find.  Creatinine is over 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment