Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Little Things Can Flip You......

 Morning lab update:  Creatinine is rising, up from a nadir of 4 to nearly 7.  I haven't spoken to the doctors, but this is a bad thing. Everything else is stable.

The rest of this post is all about me.

So, for those of you who are fortunate enough to never have had to suddenly uproot to a far-away city in a health emergency with less than 10 minutes to decide what you need to survive on the other end:

I grabbed 3 days' worth of clothes plus a couple extra panties and bras.  I forgot socks for myself but grabbed 3 pair for Babygirl, so I've been wearing her teeny tiny socks on my gigantic feet. It's worked. I grabbed 6 days' worth of medication for me, but no emergency stuff like Tylenol or headache medications.

I forgot toothpaste, and, as noted, my socks. Both problems temporarily solved LOL.

However, I just took day 4 of my medications with no end in sight here. And ALL of my clothes have been used, vomited on, or, well, lived in. I am currently wearing Ana's orange protest T-shirt and a pair of jammie pants. 

None of this would be terribly problematic, but the hotel's laundry room is under construction until the 6th (which in construction lingo means "until the 12th of never").  They are using a send-out service, so before 8 AM yesterday, as per instructions, I delivered virtually ALL of my clothing to the front desk for cleaning.

"They'll be back tonight."  Except they weren't.  "They'll be back first thing in the morning." Except they aren't.

They said they'd send their shuttle for them, ETA 10 AM. Well, I'm not going anywhere, so I guess that will do.

I came back to my room and literally had the biggest breakdown I've had so far.  Like, this is the crisis my soul is going to say is one too many?  Well, the soul knows what it knows, and if you don't let the stress out, the next thing will take you DOWN, so advice: Cry when you feel it. Except in front of the kid.

So I had booked this room through today, initially having no idea how long I'd need to be here.  I told the desk (while I was dealing with the laundry thing) that I'd need to stay longer.  They gave me a number to call to clear it with the hospital, I thought, to authorize extending the discounted price.

They had me call, it turns out, because they could apparently see (despite the fact that I have been sitting down HARD on my inner Karen) that I was a grenade with the pin pulled. Handle with care.

The hospital housing coordinator told me that this hotel does not have room for me to stay, and I need to check out and move somewhere else.  They have a sort of Ronald McDonald house for adult patients in critical care, but it is also under construction at the moment, to be done, well, not in time to help me.  

She got me a reservation elsewhere, still with a hospital discount, no shuttle, and I can check in at 4.  Checkout here is at 10, but I'm not going ANYWHERE without clean clothes and a MotherDucking shower.  And somewhere between, I need to be at the hospital, timing a "legal" visitors pass to the arrival of my friend who is bringing Ana's glasses, phone, and my ongoing medications (and socks. Gotta have socks!) sometime this afternoon. Good thing I took a moment for the breakdown.

In the middle of all of this I got a call from the hospital financial counselor.  We did our best to figure out which insurance to bill first.  I gave my best to give a crap about it. 

Karen might appear despite my best efforts.

DeeDee

PS Going off in search of my clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment