Sunday, January 9, 2022

No News is No News.....

 Yesterday I made it home with no difficulty or bad weather. It's extremely good that I did not plan on returning today, since the ice slick on the roads is so spectacular this morning. 

Babygirl is more-or-less stable. She had 2 hours of dialysis on Friday, and was supposed to get 3 hours on Saturday, but she tells me, "There was no room for me there." I don't know if that is because someone else in a more desperate situation bumped her out of line, or if her Covid-positive status makes it harder to safely place her there.  Or what.

She has no idea whether she is getting dialysis today.  But they gave her breakfast, so she's excited about that.  Yesterday morning they left her NPO (nothing by mouth) until I contacted her doctor to ask why? The procedure she was supposed to have on Friday is delayed (again, Covid vs availability?), but they failed to discontinue to NPO because the second procedure (to remove her existing temporary catheter) remained on the books.  Ugh.  

So two mornings in a row she wasn't allowed to eat or drink, while simultaneously being encouraged to keep the kidney hydrated.  On neither day did they put her on IV fluids to bridge the gap. 

I kinda miss the ICU....

Her labs are stable except I think she's going to need another transfusion. If she drops a pint of blood every time she has dialysis, this is not going to be an easy fix. 

Neither Babygirl nor I have any idea if she is getting any specific treatment for the Covid, ie antivirals. I do know that they have given her what they can for the rejection. 

What I find absolutely fascinating is that NOT ONE PERSON can tell me how long it will be before I am allowed to see her. "Five days. No, wait, this is a transplant floor, we'll have to check."

Duck. So we are literally able to take only one day at a time. One text at a time. One photo at a time.

Her breakfast looked pretty awesome.

DeeDee 

No comments:

Post a Comment