Thursday, October 16, 2014

Citizenship.......

"I hereby declare, on oath,

I want to tell you a story.  It is an entirely true story.

 that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince,

Once, many years ago, I awoke from a very vivid dream of a little girl with curly hair.  Somehow, I knew that she was my little girl.

potentate, state, or sovereignty,

I already had a lovely little girl, but I knew that there was another one out there.  So I started looking for her.

of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

I looked in India.  She wasn't there.

that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America

I looked here at home.  She wasn't here.

 against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

I looked for a LONG time. 

that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

An adoption agency sent me a picture of a little Colombian girl with a lollipop, and a long, sad medical history.  If the story was true, she was going to die whether she came home to me or not.  So, heavy hearted, I said, "No."

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

But that little girl DID have a curl on top her head...and she didn't look like she matched the long, sad history.  So I suggested some extra medical tests.  And I went back to looking.

 that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;

And a few months later, the agency called me back.  Those tests are all negative....so....what do you think?

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law;

I think she needs to come home. 

and that I take this obligation freely,

And yesterday, with her little boy on my lap, I watched her take her Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America and prove she is a US Citizen.

without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;

And all the way home my heart was squeezed tight full of gratitude to God for the gift of my beloved Curlygirl.

so help me God."

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment