Sunday, December 9, 2012

Serenity....

Babygirl continues to have headaches daily.  Each morning she comes down with her sunglasses on, takes her meds and goes back to bed.  Even our optimism has a pessimistic sound to it.  Earlier this week Hubby, in a totally hopeful tone of voice, said, "Well, I don't think she looks QUITE as terrible today as she did yesterday!"

And for what it's worth, I agree with him.  She has either so adjusted to her level of suffering that she is able to shrug it off better, or she is actually suffering less.  We managed to to a bit of Christmas shopping two days in a row, and she insisted on going to our church this afternoon to help decorate the sanctuary. 

While we were out shopping her eye was caught by a display of $50 sterling silver bracelets engraved with various encouraging quotations.  We read several of them together. 

On the way home she said, thoughtfully, "I know those bracelets are really expensive, but I really loved the last one we looked at."

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I'm reasonably sure she's never seen or heard that prayer before.  And I'm touched and impressed that that was the one that stuck in her mind.  I asked her whether it was the prayer or the bracelet that she loved the most.  "The prayer." 

 I have no problem with the price.  If I had it I'd pay a hundred times that much to make it possible for her to hold such a thought in her hands and heart.  But I know her well enough to know that a bracelet won't survive long in her care, and if it's the prayer that matters, and it is, there are hundreds of ways to make that a visible part of her world.

I see a trip to the Christian bookstore in my immediate future.  I'm betting I can find a poster or a plaque that will look lovely in her room, and possibly a necklace to give us serenity when we're on the road.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment