Friday, June 23, 2023

Adulting is a PIB....

 When the kids were little, before I took up cussing like it was a full-time job, I used to call them PIBs:  Pains in the Butt. It's more polite than the commoner PITA. 

I spent nearly ALL of today doing adult PIB stuff. 

I began with a list of 7 phone calls I needed to make. I think I made 15 of them and have one left. 

We need a place to stay Sunday night for Babygirl's Monday appointment. I needed to try to rearrange some of her urology appointments so we don't have to make 3 trips to Rochester in one week instead of just 2. I had to check in with Employee Health so that I could return to work as scheduled. Clear up insurance info on past due medical bills. You get the idea.

I also closed the bank account that I opened when I was 18. Since about a dozen things were being paid directly out of this account, I had to make phone calls/website visits for all of these as well.

Almost everything has been handled. A couple of things are works in progress.  And to add to it all I kept GETTING calls. One of those calls was extremely useful, however.

Babygirl's Medicare plan (United Healthcare - I can't say enough good about this in her situation) has a transplant coordinator. She called to see how Babygirl was doing since the transplant. And the readmission. How is she doing monitoring her blood sugar?  How is she managing her medications? Side effects if any? 

Then: "Are there any financial challenges due to the transplant?" "There would be if she had to pay for it herself."

It turns out she qualifies for up to $125/day for travel and expenses. This will likely backdate to her May appointment, and would be enough to get back all of her (my) hotel and mileage expenses. This would be a blessing for certain.  We need to get prior authorization from her Rochester doctors, which will most likely be entirely handled by Rochester's transplant coordinator.  

I'm a little excited that all my Adulting PIB crap may have some valuable yield. 

DeeDee


No comments:

Post a Comment