Friday, June 16, 2023

Restarting the Insurance Battles.....

 Babygirl is going home today.  All the doctors have seen her, PT made her climb some more stairs (12 this time!), she has been given and taught how to use a glucose meter. We need diet lists for low phosphorus and low potassium diets (potassium is easy to find online, phosphorus is more complicated), but I want to know what THEY want her to do, thank you.  The doc who is discharging her told us to ask for them when they give her the discharge papers. This seems needlessly.....delaying.  I'll ask the front desk soon.

I did a Target run last night to get roomier clothes and shoes to accommodate the now 50 pounds of extra fluid. The kidney is still asleep. I will need to do a pharmacy run before we leave. 

In the meantime, insurance.  

I took Babygirl off of my insurance at the end of last year.  She is 23, and she is entitled to extra coverage from Medicare for 3 years after a transplant, so I figured she'd be covered until she was 26 one way or the other. Because she is disabled, this will probably continue. She is poor, so she'll get Medicaid as well.  Since having 3 insurances last year was a clusterduck, it seemed practical to get rid of BC/BS.

I got a call a day or two ago from her Medicare provider that they had "authorized the kidney transplant." Well, that's super kind of you. 

They told the hospital the same thing, but reminded them that she still has BC/BS.  Well, no.

I have had conversations with Medicare about the discontinuation of the BC/BS, MONTHS ago.  I'm still struggling every time we go to the pharmacy with the "she still has BC/BS concept.  

Yesterday I called BC/BS. They confirm that Babygirl is NOT insured.  I proactively asked them to send me written proof of that.  

Lord.  None of this is complicated, is it really?

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment