Sunday, June 11, 2023

How "The Day" Went....

Yesterday was momentous.  Terrifying. Full of excitement, fear, grief, joy, gratitude. 

Very shortly after my last post, Babygirl's surgeon (who, buy the way, I have never (and might never) laid eyes on called to tell me that the surgery went well, was uncomplicated, and Babygirl was headed to recovery.  Weeping in public is generally not my thing, but....there we were. I tried to put in a blog update, but discovered that my poor computer, which had taken a little fall Friday evening (the power cord got tangled in Babygirl's hospital bed while they were starting to move her to dialyis) died. It was the final blow to an already cracked screen.

Citygirl and I, aware that there was a LONG wait for recovery, went to lunch.  The Lebanese place was closed, but there was Indian take-out next door.  We then headed to Best Buy to replace the laptop.  Since there was a Target in the same plaza, Citygirl eagerly went there to find some clean, comfortable clothing. 

I was in Best Buy for less than 20 minutes.  I found a laptop on sale, a sleeve to keep it safe, threw in the 2-year protection plan and walked out for just over $250. My credit card breathed a sigh of relief because it was the first non-alcohol purchase in over a week.  I'm pretty sure I was going to start seeing ads in my feed for rehab.

I went to the parking lot, unpackaged everything and left the box/papers/etc etc etc in the cart.  Don't judge me. 

I met Citygirl at Target, and found an adorable (translate: Appropriate for elementary school) backpack/cooler. Since a computer backpack priced in at $149 (what the DUCK, Target?) I felt this was a better option. The cooler foam will add some cushion to the little sleeve, and have room for the rest of the crap I'm toting around. Citygirl found some very cozy sweats.

We went to the new hotel, checked in, got Citygirl changed and went back, stopping in the parking ramp so I could grab a clean shirt from the trunk of my car, since the saddest thing that happened to me yesterday was dropping a freshly-purchased cup of Iced Americano, which exploded all over me and the waiting room carpet.

The we waited. And waited. And waited. We get glimpses of eternity in these waits.  Citygirl did work on her computer. I read, watched stupid entertaining videos on my phone, and spent some time getting the new computer up and running (a work in progress to be sure), and wandering around until I found the hospital chapel.

I was forever. It was frightening.  After much longer than the expected wait, we went to the cafeteria, got some sad salads for dinner, and decided we would demand an update when we got back.  I turned out to be unnecessary. Babygirl was back in her room.

We stayed with her until visiting hours closed at 8, went back to the hotel and drank a bottle of wine by the pool, and literally cried about everything from 1998 until now and went to bed feeling...cleaner.

Thankfully we already had the wine. My credit card doesn't need to know.

DeeDee

1 comment:

  1. she was on my mind all day. I was telling everyone who would listen.

    ReplyDelete