Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Still Sleeping...

 It feels like it's been a long day, although actually it's been a full day on a night of poor sleep.'

I was very slow to get going this morning. Visiting hours are from 8 AM - 8 PM, and I've been there at opening bell so far, but it was 8:05 when I let Babygirl know I hadn't left the hotel yet.  She said, "That's okay, they're sending me for dialysis." 

This is the second time since the new transplant that they've had to do this. The issue this time was rising potassium (although not as bad as the emergently terrible level a couple of days ago) and rising creatinine. Since visitors are not allowed there, I had some extra time.  What to do?

I was in need of some headphones, since Babygirl has been using mine.  Maybe a pedicure? Maybe...? It's fun to have some choices.  

I went to Target for headphones. I debated a pedicure, but really, I just had my toes done.  Besides, we had "transplant training" scheduled at 11, although it was very unlikely that Babygirl would make it back in time for that.

So I took a walk. Babygirl is tired of being indoors, and so I snapped pictures of all kinds of crazy things for her: Sculptures, historic markers, flowers, a hot dog stand, historic gravestones, flowers, and more sculpture, socks for sale in the gift shop. There is a MASSIVE cemetery across the street from the hospital. Frederick Douglas and Susan B Anthony are buried there (and now I feel obligated to go hunt for them LOL). Our nurse told us that when he was in 8th grade his class did a "famous peoples' graves" scavenger hunt. I was impressed and maybe a little appalled. 

Babygirl is feeling better enough to take a lap or two around the nurses station, unlike Sunday, when she made it 10 feet and had to sit down.

Since the continuous bladder irrigation (which is, by the way, painless) was discontinued, she has continued to see blood and small clots in the catheter tubing. Urology continues to come to do manual irrigation (which is, by the way, NOT painless) every 6 hours.  There are always clots, although typically smaller than a grape in size. 

And, as you can guess from the ongoing need for dialysis, the kidney is still not "awake." 

DeeDee


No comments:

Post a Comment