Friday, October 12, 2012

Day of Rest....

It's three weeks today since GodzillaGerm took over my life.  Babygirl had it and got better.  The baby who gave it to me has been in for a revisit and is perfectly fine. Me?  Well, I think I may have finally reached a point where I might actually want to live.

Yesterday was layered in exhaustion.  I realized early in my workday that finishing was not going to be possible.  I couldn't stop coughing. Changing my mind made me short-winded. Food has had no taste for days and the only thing I can smell is, I suspect, the inside of my own disgusting sinuses.  I was on the third day of the new antibiotic and the sixth day of my second run of high-dose steroids.  It took eternity to finish paperwork and leave.  I hit my bed at 3, slept until 5:30, ate dinner and went back to bed. I called in sick for today before I even left the office yesterday.

This morning the steroids popped me out of bed at 3 AM, but hey, I'd already had nearly 12 hours of sleep by then!  I got up, and puttered a bit.  Ten minutes of sweeping, then a breathing treatment.  A load of laundry and a cup of hot tea.  Clean off the coffee table and read Dickens.  By 3 in the afternoon the house was reasonably tidy. I had a pot of homemade soup on the stove.  I'd had about three naps and cried over the fate of Carton:  "It is a far, far better thing that I do....."

I think this may be the first time I can remember taking a late afternoon shower so I could change into clean jammies.  From my jammies. 

During dinner I suddenly realized I could TASTE the soup.  Heaven.

Babygirl wants to go see Pitch Perfect.  I think I can stick with the jammies, don't you?  I'd hate to break a record.

DeeDee

PS Soup of the Day:  Ham/Cauliflower/Parsnip/Smoky Cheddar

1 onion
3 cloves garlic
3 ribs celery
1 head of cauliflower
leftover cooked parsnips (around 1 cup)
1 ham bone
fresh sage
1/2 lb grated smoky cheddar cheese
1-2 tsp Tabasco

Everything but the cheese in a pot with some water.  When the cauliflower is soft, remove ham/bone.  Strain veggies, reserving liquid.  Put all the veggies in a food processor, blend until smooth.  Remove ham from bone, cut in small pieces.  Put reserved liquid in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and whisk in the cheese until melted.  Mix with ham and veggie mixture.  Add Tabasco to taste (enough to brighten it up without making it spicy).  Top with bacon (optional but tasty!) Serve with garden salad and corn bread.

It was thick, but not high fat/high carb.  Even Babygirl liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment