Friday, November 9, 2012

I Fixed a Roof.....

Each year when we go on Appalachia Service Project mission trip, we plan some sort of song to introduce ourselves to the other groups.  We've used tunes from pop, country, and once even the theme from Gilligan's Island.  Other teams do the same, and it breaks the ice on the first night when three or four churches from different states are coming together to do home repairs for folks who can't afford to do it themselves. 

Last week I got a song stuck in my head (thanks to Babygirl's Glee reruns).  But it was a good, rhythmic song to walk to, and while I was walking I started a rewrite for our next mission trip.  It's totally silly, and my apologies to Katy Perry.

I Fixed A Roof

This is not what I had planned
(I hate heights, I'm not good at ladders!).
What are these tools here in my hand? 
I've never used a drill or a hammer!
It's not what I'm used to
Just had to climb right on
It's curious what I'll do
With the right intentions!

 I fixed a roof and I liked it
 to keep someone warmer, safer, dryer!
I fixed a roof just to try it
I hope ASP will like it!
It seemed so wrong, and felt so right
I think I'll sleep good tonight.
I fixed roof and I liked it - I liked it!

This mountain fell into their yard
now you give me a post hole digger!
I have never worked so hard
could railroad ties be bigger?
It's not what I'm used to
Just had to pile it on
It's curious what I'll do
With that big sledgehammer!

But I built a wall and I liked it
to keep someone warmer, safer, dryer!
I dug a ditch and I liked it
muddy, sweaty, hot and dehydrated.
It felt so wrong, but it seemed so right
I'm sure I'll sleep great tonight!
I built a wall and I liked it - I liked it!

Mission work is so magical
We help, they know God loves them so!
Hard to resist all those Devos...

I ran out of steam here.  I'll post in on the mission team site and take my lumps about the horrible meter and bad rhyme.  But it took me outside myself and made me remember our friends in West Virginia.  With all the snow from Hurricane Sandy I'm guessing we'll have a lot of roofs to fix.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment