Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Grateful for Freedom...

I'm incredibly grateful that I live in this country.  For all of our flaws, it remains, and will remain, the best place in the world to live.  Despite the incredibly divisive pre-election craziness, I have nothing but good thoughts about the future of our nation.

For the record, I voted for President Obama (for the second time).  I clearly have a lot at stake.  Without the Affordable Health Care Act, Babygirl's future is even more uncertain that it currently is.  My work serving the poor is more promising in this environment.  I'm not looking for Platinum Card Club/first-class-seat medical care for everybody.  But there should be room in coach for everybody.  Heck, I'll settle for Greyhound care as a basic start. 

I'm hoping for a gentler, more tolerant future for my kids.  As a child who had to learn that the N-word was not appropriate anymore, I want my kids to learn that the F-word ('faggot!") is not appropriate either.  I want equal rights for everybody.  I want my 20-somethings to have a chance at decent work for a living wage. 

I pray that both political sides of our nation come together to work for the common good. 

DeeDee

1 comment:

  1. I think the only way to make a difference now is for both sides to work together. But Tuesday was a good thing. Here in Canada we have universal healthcare. I have never had a bill for medical care and having worked in healthcare, I know that although not without flaws, our system works. Here a percentage of your income goes to healthcare (very small) if you make over a certain amount. Businesses pay towards healthcare on behalf of the employees, but not until they pass a threshold of earnings. No Canadian is afraid of being sick because of the bills. I am very grateful and hope to see the USA move in this direction.

    ReplyDelete