Monday, November 26, 2012

When Crises Collide.....

A little over a year ago, I wrote about possible conflicts between Babygirl's needs and those of other family members (http://kidneedsakidney.blogspot.com/2011/11/week-thirty-conflicting-obligations.html).  That potential conflict worked out fine.  Curlygirl's Squeaker was born almost a month after Babygirl's kidney transplant, so I had no need to prioritize one child over another. 

Life moves on, and we've had to do more than a little juggling to meet everyone's various needs.  Overall, we are successful.  This week, not so much.

Last week Grampa Mike died.  He was an amazing man (http://stei-23890.tributes.com/show/Francis-M.-Brick-94772126), and despite the fact that he was not actually related to us by blood, he was Grampa to my kids.  I was able to visit him in the hospital last month, and did what I could to support my niece and nephew and my sister-in-law during the long weeks of his illness.  He was able to die at home, surrounded by family.  I will miss him.

Babygirl has to be in Philadelphia Thursday and Friday, so the plan was to travel down Wednesday evening.  But now there is a funeral Tuesday, tomorrow, and it is the one day of this week when we cannot possibly go.  Babygirl's routine dental visit has been delayed four times due to hospitalizations and low white cell counts.  Because of the transplant it is important for her not to develop any infections, and regular cleanings are important for her.  I'm more or less in the same boat, and have an appointment as well.  Her parent-teacher conference is tomorrow, between our two appointments, and I MUST keep up on school information.  To top it off, my Mom has a doctor's appointment as well.

My sister-in-law understands.  But I want to be there, for her, her siblings, and for my neice and nephew.  I want to honor Grampa Mike's life with the rest of them, and hear stories shared that I'll never have the opportunity to hear otherwise, and celebrate the man he was. 

If ever there was a time that I wish I could manage being in two places at once, this would be it.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment