Sunday, September 9, 2012

Travel Day.....

We've arrived safely in our Philly home.  We had planned on stopping at the amusement park, but it's closed for a private party (and a BIG one to judge by the number of cars!).  It's closed on weekdays now, so we'll have to wait and see about another visit before it closes for the winter.

But the story for the day....

Our church had a picnic today.  The service was at a local park, under a picnic shelter, with lunch catered by a local restaurant that specializes in grilled chicken.  My mom actually decided to come - food tends to bring her out.  She ended up seated next to Dick, the father (-in-law) of a couple of our friends.

They hit it off well.  He told her the same three stories 8 times each and she thought each one was a new and different story.  Dementia Kismet, if you will. As we were leaving the park, my mom started to cry.  She lamented the loss of married life - someone to make tea for, someone who valued her skills.  She and my dad have been divorced now longer than the 25 years they were married, and I suspect that they both miss each other.  Each willingly admits that the years when my brothers and I were young were the best of their lives.

She asked if Dick was married.  He was widowed a few years ago.  My mom then went on to tell me that she'd happily marry him, since he's single.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - the mental picture of two demented old people just made it hard to avoid doing either thing.  Would either of them remember that they were married?  Would it be like '50 First Dates' every morning? Would we need to make videotapes every day?

Maybe the videotape thing would be a good idea......

Sigh.  I can't wait to see the look on my friends' faces when I tell them her scheme LOLOL.

Last year after this picnic I ended up taking Babygirl to the emergency room. (http://kidneedsakidney.blogspot.com/2011/07/week-9-er.html).  This time she played, ran around, ate, drank, and came home pain-free.

It's a good day.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment