Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pets....

No pet lover could let a month of gratitude go by without thinking of the animals that have made us so happy over the years.

Simon is our current dog.  He's a cockapug (yeah, try not to think about that), a very puggy dog with a spaniel's gift of swimming.  He's sweet, loving to all the babies, and always ready for a snack.  His brother, Garfunkel, died a few years ago.  He was a doofy little guy, but my hubby loved him and misses him still.

Our last dog was Katie.  We're not entirely sure WHAT she was - greyhound rear-end, beagle ears, and yellow fur?  She could run like the wind.  She and one of our cats were best friends.  She used to carry her around in her mouth.  I suspect she might have swallowed her if she could have figured out which end wasn't sharp. 

I had a horse when I was in high school.  She was freedom, and responsibility, and growing up.  She was a challenge, a listener, and a loving heart.

But the one pet who will always be THE dog was Lady.  She was a long-haired dachshund.  She fully believed that she was ten feet tall, willing to stand up to anybody or anything.  She was my dog, from age 13 to age 28.  She could do tricks, although it's hard to tell when a really short dog is rolling over.  She walked without a leash in the city neighborhood I lived in in my early 20's.  She soaked up a lot of tears, barked at a lot of strangers, and once bit my landlord on the ankle because he walked in without knocking.  I have not the slightest doubt that she would have died to defend me.  Simon, I'm not so sure about.

Pets.  Thank you.

DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment